What is IgA Nephropathy?

My entire diagnosis, this is how I have described my disease.  Its about as simplified as I can get.

Immunoglobulin type A (IgA) nephropathy is an immune condition in which my body produces too many antibodies (specifically the ones that fight upper respiratory illnesses).  These excess antibodies have no where to go once the illness is defeated so they collect and clog my kidneys like good little soldiers hanging out at a bar after battle.

Clogging my kidneys leads to inflammation, blood in my urine, and ultimately a decrease in kidney function which has brought me to the point of requiring a transplant.

The good news is that my nasty little disease is stunted by immunosuppressant therapies which are required post transplant so the chance of my IgA affecting a new kidney to the point of failure is low.

If you'd like a little more fancy description or understanding, please click these links.

IgAn - Kidney.org

Mayo Clinic - incidentally what this sight lists as potential causes don't apply to me except the infections on (see My Story)

IgAn - Emedicine - the most interesting and detailed article with pictures!  Woo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baskets of Kidneys...er...eggs

ISO: Single dark red healthy kidney for lifelong commitment

Battlefield